Cooking Time: 8hrs
It was known in folk lore to raise the dead. this is due to its hydrophilic attraction to digestive juices and nutrients.
Good quality home made stocks boost immune system, aids digestion and provides essential minerals including calcium.
However, is better known for rebuilding skin and collagen leading to more beautiful skin, nails and hair.
2 kg organic chicken carcasses
1/2 head garlic
3 sticks celery
3 bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
5 sprigs fresh thyme
5 black peppercorns
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
5 sprigs fresh parsley
Rind of 1 lemon
6 litres water
- Place all ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to boil, skim and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 8hrs.
- Strain and refrigerate stock.
- Once Chicken Stock has cooled you can remove the fat easily from the top.
- Divide stock into containers and store in fridge(1week) or freezer(2-3months).
- To get a richer stock (for gravy). Place 1/2 the chicken, onion, carrot, celery and garlic in pan. Bake in 180c oven for 1hr or until browned. At the same time bring the rest of the ingredients to the boil and simmer. Place browned chicken and vege in stock pot. Deglaze oven pan with cup of stock and pour back into stock pot. Simmer for 8hrs.
- You can keep the fat for baking your roast vegetables if you like, it is very high in Vitamin D.
- Chicken Stock is great to use up your older vegetables.
Recipe by Jos Davis